Magic: The Gathering, Booster Draft
Booster Draft is a format of playing Magic: the Gathering where players pack one card from a booster pack and then pass it to their neighbour.
Rejects Draft is a variant of booster draft where custom-made booster packs containing unwanted or superfluous cards are brought by the participants.
- Each participant brings 3 custom-made boosters.
- Each custom-made booster has to contain:
- 1 rare card (gold expansion symbol).
- 3 uncommon cards (silver expansion symbol).
- 11 common cards (black expansion symbol).
- At least 2 cards that share a color for each color.
- No more than 5 cards that share a color.
- No more than 2 cards that share a Magic: The Gathering expansion symbol.
- A matching checklist card for each double-sided card they contain.
- No cards named Forest, Island, Mountain, Plains or Swamp.
- No vanilla creatures (creature cards with no rules text).
- Boosters are distributed with no player receiving a booster they brought.
- After the draft, players keep all cards they drafted from booster packs.
Chaos Draft is a variant of booster draft where booster packs of many different editions are used.
Boosters for the following 42 editions can be bought at MKM for up to 5€:
|Avacyn Restored||angels, demons, humans|
|Betrayers of Kamigawa||arcane spells, spirits|
|Born of the Gods||enchantment creatures, gods|
|Coldsnap||retro theme, snow cards|
|Dark Ascension||demons, humans, monsters|
|Dragons of Tarkir||dragons|
|Eventide||multicolor (enemy colors)|
|Fate Reforged||dragons, multicolor|
|Fifth Dawn||artifacts, multicolor|
|Invasion||multicolor (allied colors)|
|Journey into Nyx||enchantments, gods|
|Khans of Tarkir||multicolor (wedge colors)|
|Legions||creatures only theme, morph|
|Magic Origins||strictly worse theme|
|Mirrodin Besieged||artifacts, equipment, poison|
|Mirrodin Besieged Mirran Faction Pack||artifacts, equipment|
|Mirrodin Besieged Phyrexian Faction Pack||artifacts, equipment, poison|
|Nemesis||fading, mercenaries, spellshapers|
|Planar Chaos||alternate color pie|
|Prophecy||mercenaries, rebels, rhystic magic|
|Return to Ravnica||multicolor|
|Saviours of Kamigawa||cards in hand, spirits|
|Scars of Mirrodin||artifacts, equipment, poison|
|Theros||enchantments, gods, monsters|
|Time Spiral||retro theme, time travel|
|Torment||black, swamps matter theme|
Chaos Draft at 32C3
- Each participant brings 3 different sealed boosters (with 15+ cards each).
- Boosters from smaller editions are opened first.
- Booster draft direction is clockwise.
- Deck building time is 30 minutes.
- Minimum deck size is 40 cards.
- No sideboards.
- Round robin tournament (everyone plays everyone else).
- A single match is won by a player who has won 2 games.
- A player who quits concedes all remaining games.
Rares, foils and cards listed on Price Visualizer for a given edition (for example Cabal Coffers) are put on a table at the end of the tournament. Then the player who scored first place picks a card, then the player who scored second place picks a card … until the player who scored last place picked a card. The process is repeated until all cards were picked by a player.